Thursday, November 17, 2011

Kissy, Kissy - Make love, not war.
For some strange reason recently, a great deal of my brain's CPU time has been spent thinking about the foolishness of war.  I think it started slipping into this train of thought around Remembrance Day when CBC radio aired a program debating the merit's of November 11th as a day of national reflection.  I don't think I actually caught the program, but I did listen to several callers who had left messages on both sides of the argument.  Of course there are those who believe that Remembrance Day is all about the sacrifice made by the young men and women who give their lives for their country.  But then there are those who think that this day of reflection can actually be interpreted as war mongering - aggrandizing and encouraging combat as the best way to assert good over evil.  While I don't really want to wander into that debate, I can declare that it seems to me that we humans were either given or evolved to a condition whereby we had one attribute that truly set us apart from all other living beings - the gift of communication.  And so it seems strange to me, that while we can separate ourselves from all the other species by exclusively claiming "civilized" or "sentient" as characteristics that set us apart, we have failed to use this one truly distinguishing characteristic to avoid violence and destruction on a massive scale as a means to settle our differences, whether it be a fight over resources, or a lack of understanding or tolerance for diversity.  What a shame.  By the way Vatican, can you explain why you need to sue Benetton?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.