Monday, March 7, 2011

Lady Gaga, Gordon Pinsent, Greg Keelor, and Dogtooth

Gordon Pinsent, Greg Keelor at the Venue
This past Saturday night, when Gordon Pinsent said, "This is the first time I've been to  Peterborough (long pause for applause) since 1959, and it really hasn't changed that much", I'm not sure the crowd at the Venue knew exactly what he meant, but when Greg Keelor said "I hope our music isn't interrupting the conversations in the balcony, (long pause for applause and reflection), and I can hear every fucking word", I'm pretty sure everyone knew exactly what he was getting at.  As much as I agreed with Keelor's angst with the some impolite members of the audience, my issue with a night out in Peterborough had more to do with the weather.  It seems almost inevitable that a winter night out in this rural Ontario city will end with some kind of weather event making the short drive home to Grafton into a bit of a challenge.  Pinsent and Keelor teamed up with Travis Good of The Sadies to put some of Pinsent's poems to music, and I, being a big Blue Rodeo fan, agreed with friends that it might make for an interesting night out, and it did.  This is my second attempt to take in a Blue Rodeo experience via half of the band; the first was a Jim Cuddy show in Cobourg in a similar kind of venue about 2 years ago.  Both experiences, while interesting in themselves, paled in comparison to my memories of the band playing at The Horseshoe Tavern many, years ago while I bumped up against Tom Cruise, another big fan, dancing next to me, all in a bit of a drunken haze.  Back to 2011.  Just two nights earlier, I was the designated driver for 3 other friends who accompanied David to take in his birthday present; Lady Gaga at the A.C.C. for her presentation of "The Monster Ball", (which apparently means, "I reserve the right to keep you waiting for an hour and a half before I come on stage"), but which ultimately turned out to be a memorable event for those in attendance, none-the-less.  I instead opted for a walk up Yonge St. to the Carleton Cinema where I watched Dogtooth, the only film starting at 9:45, and a film not likely to come to Peterborough, or rural Ontario for that matter, any time soon.  Well, all I can say is that Yonge Street sure has changed, especially at Dundas Square.  Who says that being a spa guy doesn't mean you can still be a culture sponge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.