Monday, February 28, 2011

Winter scene at Wicklow Beach
JFK once said; "All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea -- whether it is to sail or to watch it -- we are going back from whence we came."  Although I am a huge fan of his, I'm not sure I fully agree with his conclusion as to why we are drawn to the sea.  Yes, I am drawn to large bodies of water, but I don't really differentiate between salt water and fresh water, and ultimately, while I get the whole evolution concept, I just don't think humans evolved from a fish.  When I want to clear my mind, or just take in some really fresh air, I will often make the short drive down to the shore of Lake Ontario.  Directly south of here in Grafton the beach is predominately stone covered, although further west in Cobourg and Port Hope, or to the east in Brighton or Prince Edward County one can find some of the finest sandy beaches in Ontario.  Either way, the lake shore is soothing, even on stormy days when the waves are crashing against the shore, whether the water is fully fluid or full of ice chunks.  My mom loves to walk her dog down on the beach while she searches endlessly for bits of sea glass and interesting shells.  The fact is, since the invention of the automobile, we humans have been devolving as we find it much easier to jump in a vehicle to do just about anything.  I drove David up to Peterborough this weekend to run in a 1/2 marathon, and easily managed to talk myself out of joining the 5K run, or even jumping in the pool for a swim.  I did fit in a walk up and down George Street with Massie by my side, but really, without become an obsessed marathoner, there really isn't any good reason why I couldn't walk at least 5K every day just in the course of my regular routine.  Please, someone, besides my doctor and my conscience, give me a reason to be fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.