Sunday, November 7, 2010

You'll never guess who I ran into in Huntsville!

OK, I haven't actually run into him, but his picture is everywhere, and there's no doubt in my mind that this is his kind of place.  I'm in Muskoka at Deerhurst Resort for a meeting of Ontario's Finest Inns and the Ontario Tourism Summit.  This past summer, P.M. Harper and 19 of his best friends also chose this place to meet and discuss pressing world issues - all part of a multi-million dollar extravaganza still being talked about in the media.  I guess for my part, I find it hard to understand why we chose to showcase this particular place to the world.  I love Muskoka, but the mega resort that Deerhurst has become is such a contradiction to everything that the natural beauty of northern Ontario, and much of rural Ontario stands for.  Don't get me wrong, this is a well run resort, the food has been good, the rooms are spacious and clean, the meeting facilities very functional, it just doesn't represent the best of Canada for me.  Obviously it works - its quite obvious that a tremendous financial investment has been made here - something I haven't been able to achieve at my little property, I just think that for the amount of money spent, and for the amount of coverage that this event received, we could have done better.  But then, I'm not in charge of Canada, so I guess I'll just have to suck it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.