Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Acting, what a job

I'm not sure I fully understand what makes a man want to dress up as a women, in fact, sometimes I'm not sure what makes a woman want to dress up as a women.  But I suppose the old adage, "if you've got it, flaunt it" may apply.  Last Wednesday, I was taken to the theatre to see Priscilla, Queen of The Desert, an incredibly funny and at times moving musical about 3 drag queens and their trip across the Australian outback.  I had actually seen the movie of the same title many years ago, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect.  However, nothing could have prepared me for the laughs, and the range of other emotions that I would experience during this show.  I guess being transgendered means, among other things, that you wake up every day feeling like you don't quite belong in your own body.  It's hard enough feeling that you don't belong in a place that you can get up and leave from, but I can't imagine how it must feel to be born a man and want to be a woman.  This production takes this topic and has some fun with it, while at the same time subtly underscoring the cruelty of society when it mocks or rejects a fellow human being (created in the image of God) for something that is totally beyond their control, or simply being different.  The play is only playing in Toronto until January 2nd, but if you can't manage to see it, be sure to rent the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.