Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Passion Play

The highlight of this trip to Germany was attending the Passion Play.  I have waited for a full week to see if my feelings about this experience would change, but alas, they have not.  I may have set my expectations too high, in that I was hoping that this would be a life changing, faith deepening experience.  As beautiful a place as Oberamergau is, and as incredible a story The Passion Play recounts, in the 5 hours of theatre that we endured, I simply wasn't moved.  Oberamergau itself, like many organized religions, has become a very commercialized place.  I suppose if I counted on an event that only happened every 10 years as my primary attraction, I might be tempted to do the same.  But the play; I found it difficult to relate to any of the main "good guys".  Jesus seemed to be screeching at everybody, Mary Magdalene was not convincing, even Mary wasn't quite right.  I suppose the German language isn't the easiest language to sound passionate in,  Alles klingt so hart, wie eine Reihe von Befehlen.  Maybe I've been watching too many WWII movies, or perhaps Colonel Klink is forever etched in the recesses of my mind, I just can't make a German Jesus work for me.  Perhaps the irony of the whole Christ story is that, like the play, the bad guys, especially Pilate, really did steal the show.  My search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.