Monday, March 22, 2010

A spring renovation project


The first time it happened, last Friday I think, I thought it was just a fluke. But when she returned again today, I'm thinking this might be the beginning of a long term relationship. I looked up from my computer screen to see a robin looking in at me, or so I assumed - she may just as well have been looking at her own reflection in the glass. I'm hoping that she will see the remains of a long since abandoned nest in the gnarly old tree that gives me shade in the summer as a perfect place to start a family and that she won't find my presence too much of a deterrent. I guess only time will tell. This being the second day of spring, there are of course other signs that winter is making a hasty retreat. The fields are too muddy for me to easily drive up to my shack, so I'm having to find another route to get up there, or get some more aggressive tires. As far as progress on my shack is concerned, I'm pretty well finished with the inside "decor", (tongue and groove pine boards) other than any semblance of trim, or a finished floor, and am now looking to put some kind of finish on the outside walls - I'm thinking board and batten. It's been a great place to escape to and try developing some of my rusty handyman skills. Today I felt I'd pretty much recovered from the 5K run I did a few months ago, so I started back into my workout routine. I'm still toying with the idea of training for the 1/2K marathon in Ottawa, but can't quite get past the whole pain and suffering thing - I'll have to work on that. The horses are nibbling at the little shoots of green grass that are starting to poke themselves out of the grayish brown stubble, and according to Bill, their winter coats are really starting to fall out. I'm hoping to be able to spend some more time with them in the weeks ahead. As much as spring can be a bit muddy, it really is a wonderful time of the year as life regenerates itself. I hope to get out and enjoy it, and hope you'll do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.