Monday, December 15, 2008

If I hear one more word about the economy . . .


If I had a nickel for every time someone has said, "given the economic situation", I think I could buy myself a coffee at Starbucks, but I don't drink coffee. Yes, there are some worrisome things going on in the economy - General Motors might go bankrupt and many people may lose their jobs, and yes, lest the banks should stop lending money, despite record profits, not to mention credit card interest rates that rival gangster style loan sharks, fees coming out of the ying yang, let's all worry about them as well. Enough already. Can any North American really begin to comprehend what the meaning of financial hardship is? As my young friend Sam says, "Suck it up buttercup", forget about it; this too will pass - assuming we don't create a real and truly widespread economic crisis by buying into all the negativity in the media, resulting in paralysis by fear and uncertainty and doubt (FUD factors), spread between people who have no reason to worry. This past couple of weeks, I keep hearing people say things like, "given the economic circumstances, I would expect . . . ". Well the economic circumstances have nothing to do with what people should expect. Exceeding expectations comes as a result of a passion for excellence, competition and determination to be the best of the best. Let's celebrate the incredible advantages we have as a society and as a county and continue building on our strengths and enough using the economy as an excuse to stop spending and to stop achieving great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.