Tuesday, August 12, 2008

True Confessions: I'm a drug addict


In our society, we tend to associate negative stereotypes with the term drug addiction. We spend millions of dollars to try to control drug addiction, and yet, with the other hand our governments collect millions of dollars taxing drugs like tobacco and alcohol. The fact of the matter is, many of us are "drug addicts", albeit being addicted to "good" drugs is looked upon more favourably, despite the fact that our "dealers" often engage in questionable tactics. Once every three months, I make my trip to the drug store to get my fix of Nexium, a drug that helps to control acid reflux (heartburn). Yesterday on the news I caught a story about how Nexium, and other drugs in it's class can lead to brittle bones, especially in older people - a group that Gray Power Insurance tells me I'm about to join. The cost of Nexium, relative to the cost of the inconvenience of heartburn seems like a deal, but relative to other over the counter medications is quite hefty. This lead me to search the web about the cost of prescription drugs - a cost that many Canadians are immune to, thanks to company funded drug plans, and government funded health care. I came across this article in the New Yorker. Nexium is one of the cheaper prescription drugs that are chronically prescribed. I could rant and rant about the cost of trying to control so called illicit drug use, but I have a meeting to go to. My heartburn has returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.