Monday, May 19, 2008

Mother's Day






Last weekend we celebrated Mother's Day by taking my mom out for dinner at Dougalls on the Bay in Brighton. It's not far from Presqu'ile Provincial Park, right on the water, and the food is always good. Earlier in the day I had decided to succumb to mom's hints for a vegetable garden in the back yard. In my mind I had conjured up various means to achieve this objective. I tried hinting to expert spa gardeners Debbie and Darlene, but at this time of year they are very busy with their own projects. On several ocassions these hard working women have commented on how most men are only happy working if they have a motor between their legs. True to form, I procrastinated on this project, dreading the thought of turning over a plot with a shovel - this just seemed like too much work. In the end, I think I expended just as much effort and energy by enlisting the help of a couple of machines. First I rented a sod cutter from the Rentall Centre. What a brute of a machine that thing was, very heavy and quite unwieldy. It wasn't until I was about 1/2 way through the sod cutting that I discovered the setting for sod thickness, so the first few rolls of sod were huge, with about 3 inches of top soil attached. Lifting these gigantic chunks of sod up and onto the back of my truck was a back breaker. Next, I picked up 10 bags of peat moss and 10 bags of triple mix to replace the soil I had removed with the sod cutter. Finally, I used a rototiller to work the peat moss and the triple mix into the soil. Needless to say, my back is aching, but it was all worth it when I saw the smile on my mom's face as she discovered her new garden. Amazing that at 80 years of age she is able to plant a garden - I hope I'm so lucky. (Pictures above: my mom and my sister Marijo at Dougalls, the garden project before, during and after my adventure. Hopefully I'll have some pictures of some vegetables to show you before too long).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.