Monday, November 19, 2007

Making the best of a situation . . .




I guess you could say that generally speaking, I'm not really a big fan of the whole marriage concept. Not ever having been married myself, one might assume that I'm just a sore loser; bitter at having been left behind. But honestly, I think I've just grown to be a bit sceptical about the whole "and they lived happily ever after" fairytale myth. Let's admit it, as great as life can be, it has it's fair share of bumps in the road, and I'm not entirely convinced that the western marital model provides the best structure for accommodating them. So, it was with some trepidation that I considered an invitation to my third wedding of the year from my third nephew to wed. The greatest selling feature was also a potential downside. This wedding was combined with a week long trip/holiday (with family) to the Caribbean island of St. Maarten. What I really didn't give much thought to was who else might be on the guest list. There-in lies one of my great quandaries about matrimony. I can see having this ominous event witnessed by immediate family members, and maybe a few close friends, but I'm not sure I understand the point of including crowds of one or two hundred. This issue, when considered relative to a three or four hour event is magnified when applied to an event spanning an entire week. However, it seems as though these kind of weddings are gaining in popularity. In the course of aging over the past 25 years, I guess I'd forgotten how much fun it could be to drink yourself into a comatose state, pass gas on a bus and deny culpability, jump naked into a pool and wake up the other hotel guests at 3 a.m., apparently just a few of the key ingredients to a successful wedding in the islands. So, in an attempt to find a source of amusement more suitable to my age group, my brother-in-law Paul and I discovered the St. Maarten past time of "riding the fence". This entails standing at the end of a runway hanging on for dear life to a barbed wire fence while a jumbo jet takes off pelting us with high velocity jet blast. What a rush! As each day passed more and more of our group rode the fence as we became more familiar with the schedules, and the type of aircraft most likely to give you a good ride. Another related activity that provided almost as much of a thrill involved lying down on the sand as one of these massive airships dropped out of the sky to the runway beyond - breathtaking! So, if you are planning a trip south and think you might want to try something a little different, book yourself into the Sonesta Maho for a few days and have yourself a blast - a jet blast that is. FYI, the wedding was beautifully executed, on the beach, at sunset, stunning bride and groom, garnished with lots and lots of love from a very nice group of adoring family and friends. Congratulations to Mark and Shawna and best wishes for a lifetime of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.