Tuesday, October 16, 2007

How can you not love this cuddly little planet?


I went home at lunch time today. I found some leftover Chinese food in the fridge from Sunday night. While I was waiting for the food to heat up, I noticed 4 forlorn looking helium filled balloons on the kitchen table, left over from my dad's 80th birthday party. In a fit of spontaneity, I took the balloons out onto my deck and released them into the atmosphere. As I watched them rise, each heading off in a different direction on their skyward journey, I closed my eyes and made a wish for each balloon in hopes that my wishes would be carried away and found somewhere in the sky by a higher force. After lunch, I came back to work and started to work on my blog entry. I used google to search for images of balloons drifting off into space. The first link that came up lead me to a site that talked about the environmental impact of releasing balloons. If they land in the sea, turtles can eat them. To read more about the possible environmental impact of release balloons into the environment, click here. Needless-to-say, I was feeling a little conflicted about my balloon release, and a little concerned about the fate of my wishes. Yesterday was blog action day. Bloggers were supposed to use their soap boxes to preach about saving the planet and protecting the environment. Don't get me wrong, I care about the environment. When I was a little boy, I used to hang out with a friend after school. We would watch The Commander Tom show, followed by Batman. My friend was quite a bit bigger than me, and he used to like to wrestle. His secret weapon was to sit on me - my only secret weapon was to tickle his big belly until he got off me. One day, my friend asked me if I wanted to go with him and his family to their cottage. I accepted the invitation, and off we went. On route we stopped for a bucket of chicken (dirty bird), which we ate in the car. When the meal was finished, my friend's mom put everything in the Colonel's bag and tossed it out the window. I was horrified, but there was nothing I could do. At Ste. Anne's we try to be environmentally and socially responsible. We use cold water for the laundry, (although I heard on the radio today that southwestern Ontario is experiencing a resurgence of bedbugs, the treatment of which is a hot water wash cycle), we separate our garbage, although our municipal recycling plant is getting more and more particular about what they want to accept as "dry" waste, so we're sending more and more "uncertain" waste to the landfill; we changed all our bulbs to the new compact fluorescent type, although some people believe that the mercury levels in these bulbs presents a health hazard. I drive a north American made hybrid truck, but it uses just as much gas as a regular truck and much more gas than a Japanese made compact car, but I need and like my truck. Do you see my point? I love the planet, and I want to be a good person, but it seems to me there's a lot of grey out there. I'm still conflicted about so many things - I guess they call that being alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.