Monday, July 23, 2007

That karma gets you every time


Recent Hollywood releases haven't really stirred me to make the trip to the big screen. However, the allure of a meal at her favourite seafood restaurant got my mom in the mood for dinner and a movie in downtown Peterborough, so off we went. (Our last big outing - the opening of the new Home Depot in Cobourg, was a bit of a letdown for mom. After about half an hour of aisle cruising she commented that it was quite stuffy, and pretty much the same as all the other Home Depots, so we left). Based on the viewer ratings on http://www.tribute.ca/, I narrowed our movie choices down to "Hairspray" or "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry". I was leaning towards Chuck and Larry, but mom had read a review about Hairspray that suggested that it was not just a comedy, and a chance to see John Travolta in his first drag role, but more of a social commentary on the deep divisions between the blacks and the whites in Baltimore, a city we had just visited in June, making it all the more poignant. Turns out it was filmed in Toronto and Vancouver, but it really did seem like Baltimore! It was a fun flick, lots of laughs and of course lots of message about tolerance and acceptance. About 2/3 of the way through the show my cell phone started to vibrate, which it always does in this particular theatre. I ignored it the first time around, but 10 minutes later on the second round of vibrating, I thought I better answer it, as I give this number out to all the guests at the spa in case of a customer satisfaction emergency. Funny thing is, it never rings unless I'm in a movie theatre. Must be some kind of payback for something I did in a previous life. In this case it was a call about a couple who wanted to light a real wood fire in one of our fireplaces, instead of the standard 3 hour logs that we supply. They were looking to get the full romantic benefit of a real wood fire on this hot and humid July evening. I explained that the only problem with wood fires is that they cause other wood fires, especially when they spawn a mischievous little spark that makes its way onto the very dry cedar shakes bringing about a full blown roof fire. Oh well, so much for romance. It was ixnay on the romantic wood fire and back to the movie for me. I must say, John Travolta makes a convincingly good woman, reminiscent of Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire. The movie made for good Sunday afternoon entertainment, but I think I could have waited for it to come out on the movie channel. The moral lesson for me: I guess eating large portions isn't such a bad thing - shame on me. I still want to see Chuck and Larry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.