Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Life in the country



It was on a day like today, twenty six years ago that I first remember making the long trip east, past Pickering, Ajax, Whitby and Oshawa; beyond Bowmanville, Port Hope and Cobourg to Grafton Ontario to visit what was touted as a country castle in the real estate section of the Globe & Mail. I was a mere 22 years of age at the time. I was taking a few part time courses at York University and serving my 3rd term as a school board trustee on the York Region Board of Education. I was still living at home with my parents in Nashville, Ontario, so I would have to make a choice; stay in York Region and continue to pursue my fledgling political career, or drop everything to follow my parents to a run down old stone "castle" to pursue a dream. Needless to say, the allure of the Grafton Castle proved to be irresistible, and here I am, 26 years hence sitting at my desk writing this blog. In 1981 there were no blogs, no PCs no cell phones to speak of and yet, somehow we managed to get by. Where am I going with this, you might be asking yourself? It was last Saturday night. We were sitting at home and I suggested that we go out for dinner. After a little bit of a discussion about the merits of going out for dinner, we jumped in the car and set out for Cobourg. We passed Wendy's, Pizza Hut, MacDonald's, East Side Mario's Casey's, and Swiss Chalet. Sadly, this list represents the main dining out choices for the residents of the greater Cobourg/Port Hope catchment area. Sure there are a few others that have popped up over the years - The Oasis, The North Side Grill, Zest, and The Lantern, along with a few Chinese restaurants, and a couple of pubs, but after 26 years, one tends to have over-exposed one's palate. We finally settled on a seafood restaurant that serves particularly good prime rib amongst a somewhat tired decor of fishing nets and other marine based objects. It was a good meal, the service was very friendly, but we were the only guests in the dining room. These are the times, and I must say they are fewer and farther between as the years go by, and I become more and more settled in my ways, when I miss the distant memories of lives lived within the variety, the diversity, the culture and the bright lights of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and the many other wonderful cities of the world. My consolation; I can always go to the city and come back to my castle in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.