Monday, November 20, 2006


Got a text message from a friend asking me if I'd like to take his wife and kids to the Santa Claus Parade in Toronto so that he could get some work done on the house. I had planned to spend the day in my office reading a business book in preparation for a Monday morning management meeting. What the heck, I thought - it'll be fun, and I can always do my reading in bed. I can't remember the last time I was at the Santa Claus Parade - I do remember when it used to be the Eaton's Santa Claus Parade, and I remember when Eaton's pulled out, and it continued without them, and now, where is Eaton's? Thinking I'd be a smart public transit user, we parked at Yorkdale, got all the kids zipped up and made our way to the station. I couldn't believe my eyes - the line-up extended all the way back to the mall - there must have been 500 people lining up to get into the subway station. We packed the kids back in the car, and drove right downtown, to Queen and Church. After a quick pit stop at the smallest MacDonalds in the world, we joined the hordes of people pushing and shoving to get the best view of the parade. One of the kids was old enough to make her way to close to the front of the crowd, but kept finding herself in front of taller adults pushing their way in front of her. I ended up with one 40 pound child on my shoulders for the full 2 hours of floats, bands, and of course, old St. Nick himself. All in all, a great day, nothing a nice hot bubble bath couldn't fix. Next year, I'm going to bring a step ladder for the kids to perch on so the adults can all take their rightful place at the front of the pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.